Monday, February 18, 2013

John the Math Guy breaks out of the blog, Jan 2013

I have been hiding in my blog for a while, and decided it would be a good idea to get out to see more of the internet. Here are some of the tracks I have left elsewhere.

Labels and Labeling magazine


Adrian Tippets (a good friend who I have never actually met in person) read my blog post called "Layman's Guide to ISO Standards". He liked it so much that he hooked me up with the wonderful folks at Labels and Labeling magazine. One thing led to another, and "ISO comes to in-line color" was born. Here is the summary:

Achieving ISO compliance with an in-line spectrophotometer is a more difficult project than first appears. John Seymour, color expert at QuadTech, lays out the issues.

Munsell blog

I had an interesting interchange of blogs with Jeff Yurek. Jeff writes an entertaining blog with the uber-cool name "dot color". (I wish I could think of names like that.)

The interchange started with "Why does my cyan have the blues?" Jeff Yurek (a close, close friend who I never met) read this post and was obviously totally blown away my the incredible writing style and the vast knowledge that I evinced with my post. Or maybe he was just desperate for a blog post topic? Either way, he summarized my post in his blog post "How does ink thickness change the appearance of printed color?". 

Turn about is fair play, right? I was desperate for a blog post topic and I decided to co-opt ideas from his blog. I came across a post of his about the Seeing red: can color change your spending habits?. I decided to play off this post by doing extensive research into universality of opinions of color gurus on the psychological effect of the color red. I spent nearly a whole hour on the research that went into the post "Red is the color of..."

Jeff and I played ping-pong for a while. He did a post called  "Shopping for a tablet this holiday season? Don’t forget to look at color performance". Many reviews of the various tablets look at display resolution (pixels per inch). He looked at the color gamut of the displays - how many colors can the display produce.

I followed up with Does my dog appreciate my KindleFire display? in which I either looked at a) tablet apps for testing colorblindness, or b) color-blindness in dogs, or c) the gamuts of various tablet devices, or d) my superior color vision over my wife. I'm not sure what the post was really about, but I got many comments on it, so I followed up with Follow up on colorblindness testing.

Well, Munsell makes stuff for testing colorblindness, so this got the attention of Noni Cavalerie, who is the social media-savvy social media person for Munsell. In particular, she handles the Munsell color blog. Noni, of course, is one of my oldest and dearest friends that I have never met. She couldn;t take it anymore, so she asked me to guest blog. Naturally, I took a subject near and dear to my heart - why I am superior to my dog:  Evolution Trichromacy.

In case you are wondering about this vast superiority I have over my dog, it's because he is colorblind, and I have an opposable thumb. If you want to know why evolution favored primates with trichromatic vision (three types of color receptors), you'll have to read the dog blog.  

FlexoGlobal magazine

I posted a blog called Where are my CIELAB knobs?. My dearest friend Laura Hatch, of FlexoGlobal magazine (a friend who I actually did meet once) liked the blog and asked to repost it. I modified it a little (meaning, I took out the silly stuff), and she made it a Where are my CIELAB knobs?.

No comments:

Post a Comment